lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Olson, Ron" <ROL...@lbpc.com>
Subject Confusion about entities and documents
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:20:20 GMT
Hi all-

I've been checking the online docs about this, but I haven't found a suitable explanation
about how entities and sub-entities work within a document. I am loading records from a SQL
database and everything seems to be getting flattened in a way I was not expecting.

For example, I have a document that defines, say, "engine". The engine is made up of parts,
which are manufactured by various companies. A hypothetical, abbreviated config would be:

<document name="engines">
        <entity name="engine" query="select id, name, desc from engines">
                <entity name="parts" query = "select part_id, part_name from parts where
engine_id = ${engine.id}">
                        <entity name="parts_manu" query="select manu_name from manufacturer
where id = ${parts.part_id}">
                        </entity>
                </entity>
        </entity>
</document>

What I get when I search for, say, "XYZ", is a document that has XYZ Corp as a manufacturer
name, but the array of parts_manu appears to be a child of the document, not the parts array.

Is this the correct behavior, insofar as a document has a single level of elements, and that's
it? If so, what might be a better strategy for being able to maintain the hierarchy of information
within a document?

Thanks for any info,

Ron

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message, including any attachments, files or documents, is intended
only for the addressee and may contain CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.
 If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying or distribution of this message or any of the information included in or with it is
 unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete and destroy this message
and its attachments, along with any copies thereof. This message does not create any contractual
obligation on behalf of the sender or Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Thank you.