lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud distributed indexing (Re: anyone use hadoop+solr?)
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 14:41:31 GMT
On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM, MitchK <mitch91@web.de> wrote:
[...consistent hashing...]
> But it doesn't solve the problem at all, correct me if I am wrong, but: If
> you add a new server, let's call him IP3-1, and IP3-1 is nearer to the
> current ressource X, than doc x will be indexed at IP3-1 - even if IP2-1
> holds the older version.
> Am I right?

Right.  You still need code to handle migration.

Consistent hashing is a way for everyone to be able to agree on the
mapping, and for the mapping to change incrementally.  i.e. you add a
node and it only changes the docid->node mapping of a limited percent
of the mappings, rather than changing the mappings of potentially
everything, as a simple MOD would do.

For SolrCloud, I don't think we'll end up using consistent hashing -
we don't need it (although some of the concepts may still be useful).

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org  Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8