lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Index compatibility 1.4 Vs 3.1 Trunk
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 20:28:18 GMT
:         I am trying to use the solr code from '
: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk' as my design warrants use
: of PolyType fields. My understanding is that the indexes are incompatible,
: am I right ?. I have about a million docs in my index (indexed via solr
: 1.4). Is re-indexing my only option or is there a tool of some sort to
: convert the 1.4 index to 3.1 format ?

a) the "trunk" is what will ultimately be Solr 4.x, not 3.x ... for the
3.x line there is a 3x branch...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr3.1
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr4.0

b) The 3x branch can read indexes created by Solr 1.4 -- the first time
you add a doc and commit the new segments wil automaticly be converted to
the new format.  I am fairly certian that as of this moment, the 4x trunk
can also read indexes created by Solr 1.4, with the same automatic
converstion taking place.

c)  If/When the trunk can no longer read Solr 1.4 indexes, there will be
a tool provided for "upgrading" index versions.

-Hoss