lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: Best solution to avoiding multiple query requests
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:43:21 GMT
Hi Geert-Jan,

On Aug 4, 2010, at 5:30am, Geert-Jan Brits wrote:

> Field Collapsing (currently as patch) is exactly what you're looking
> for
> imo.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing

Thanks for the ref, good stuff.

I think it's close, but if I understand this correctly, then I could
get (using just top two, versus top 10 for simplicity) results that
looked like

"dog training" (faceted field value A)
"super dog" (faceted field value B)

but if the actual faceted field value/hit counts were:

C (10)
D (8)
A (2)
B (1)

Then what I'd want is the top hit for "dog AND facet field:C",
followed by "dog AND facet field:D".

Used field collapsing would improve the probability that if I asked
for the top 100 hits, I'd find entries for each of my top N faceted
field values.

Thanks again,

-- Ken

>> I've got a situation where the key result from an initial search
>> request
>> (let's say for "dog") is the list of values from a faceted field,
>> sorted by
>> hit count.
>>
>> For the top 10 of these faceted field values, I need to get the top
>> hit for
>> the target request ("dog") restricted to that value for the faceted
>> field.
>>
>> Currently this is 11 total requests, of which the 10 requests
>> following the
>> initial query can be made in parallel. But that's still a lot of
>> requests.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> 1. Is there any magic query to handle this with Solr as-is?
>>
>> 2. if not, is the best solution to create my own request handler?
>>
>> 3. And in that case, any input/tips on developing this type of custom
>> request handler?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Ken

Ken Krugler