lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrey Sapegin <andrey.sape...@unister-gmbh.de>
Subject Solr search speed very low
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:34:46 GMT
Dear ladies and gentlemen.

I'm newbie with Solr, I didn't find an aswer in wiki, so I'm writing here.

I'm analysing Solr performance and have 1 problem. *Search time is about
7-10 seconds per query.*

I have a *.csv 5Gb-database with about 15 fields and 1 key field (record
number). I uploaded it to Solr without any problem using curl. This
database contains information about books and I'm intrested in keyword
search using one of the fields (not a key field). I mean that if I
search, for example, for word "Hello", I expect response with sentences
containing "Hello":
"Hello all"
"Hello World"
"I say Hello to all"
etc.

I tested it from console using time command and curl:

/usr/bin/time -o test_results/time_solr -a curl
"http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=itemname:*$query*&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on"

-6 2>&1 >> test_results/response_solr

So, my query is *itemname:*$query**. 'Itemname' - is the name of field.
$query - is a bash variable containing only 1 word. All works fine.
*But unfortunately, search time is about 7-10 seconds per query.* For
example, Sphinx spent only about 0.3 second per query.
If I use only $query, without stars (*), I receive answer pretty fast,
but only exact matches.
And I want to see any sentence containing my $query in the response.
Thats why I'm using stars.

NOW THE QUESTION.
Is my query syntax correct (*field:*word**) for keyword search)? Why
response time is so big? Can I reduce search time?

Thank You in advance,
Kind Regards,

Andrey Sapegin,
Software Developer,