lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: RIA sample and minimal JARs required to embed Solr
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:20:08 GMT
Glad to hear someone looking at Solr not just as web enabled search engine, but as a simpler/more
powerful interface to Lucene!

When you download the source code, look at the Chapter 8 "Crawler" project, specifically "Indexer.java",
it demonstrates how to index into both a traditional separate Solr process and how to fire
up an embedded Solr.   It is remarkably easy to interact with an embedded Solr!   In terms
of minimal dependencies, what you need for a standalone Solr (outside of the servlet container
like Tomcat/Jetty) is what you need for an embedded Solr.

Eric

On May 29, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Thomas J. Buhr wrote:

> Solr,
>
> The Solr 1.4 EES book arrived yesterday and I'm very much enjoying it. I was glad to
see that "rich clients" are one case for embedding Solr as this is the case for my application.
Multi Cores will also be important for my RIA.

> The book covers a lot and makes it clear that Solr has extensive abilities. There is
however no clean and simple sample of embedding Solr in a RIA in the book, only a few alternate
language usage samples. Is there a link to a Java sample that simply embeds Solr for local
indexing and searching using Multi Cores?

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server
Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal