lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Kuhlmann <michael.kuhlm...@zalando.de>
Subject Re: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:51:44 GMT
Am 02.06.2010 16:39, schrieb Paul Libbrecht:
> This is impressive, I had this in any Linux I've been using: SuSE,
> Ubuntu, Debian, Mandrake, ...
> Maybe there's some modern JDK with a modern Linux where it doesn't happen?
> It surely is not one process per thread though.

I'm not a linux thread expert, but from what I know Linux doesn't know
lightweight threads as other systems do. Instead it uses processes for that.

But these processes aren't "top level" processes that show up in top/ps.
Instead, they're grouped hierarchically (AFAIK). Otherwise you would be
able to kill single user threads with their own process id, or kill the
main process and let the spawned threads continue. That would be totally
crazy.

In my configuration, Tomcat doesn't shut down correctly if I call
bin/shutdown.sh, so I have to kill the process manually. I don't know
why. This might be the reason why stockii has 3 Tomcat processes running.