lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From rabahb <rab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Architecture discussion
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 08:59:33 GMT

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your insights. I totally understand your point about steps 4 and
5. I wanted to control the moment when the swap would happen on the slave
side but as you say there is no use for that. It only adds up complexity
that internal solr mechanisms are already providing.

For the replication aspect, I re-read the whole documentation and with the
light you shed on that topic, I realize that the only problem here is the
huge amount of data that can be passed over the wire depending on the
segments that the indexing will update. As you say, optimizing can have a
devastating effect on the replication phase as, if I have a good
understanding of what you said, this could potentially update all the index
segments.

OK! so if I rephrase it, the best strategy in my case is to limit the
optimization phases in order to prioritize the replication performance, and
make the optimization only when the replication activity is not so crucial
in order to avoid degrading the search performances.

Thank you very much. That helps a lot.