lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From gwk <g...@eyefi.nl>
Subject Re: Sites with Innovative Presentation of Tags and Facets
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 14:24:29 GMT
On 5/31/2010 11:50 AM, gwk wrote:
> On 5/31/2010 11:29 AM, Geert-Jan Brits wrote:
>> May I ask how you implemented getting the facet counts for each
>> interval? Do
>> you use a facet-query per interval?
>> And perhaps for inspiration a link to the site you implemented this ..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Geert-Jan
>>
>> I love the idea of a sparkline at range-sliders. I think if I have
>> time, I
>>> might add them to the range sliders on our site. I already have all
>>> the data
>>> since I show the count for a range while the user is dragging by
>>> storing the
>>> facet counts for each interval in javascript.
>>>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, seems I pressed send halfway through my mail and forgot about
> it. The site I implemented my numerical range faceting on is
> http://www.mysecondhome.co.uk/search.html and I got the facets by
> making a small patch for Solr
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1240) which does the same
> thing for numbers what date faceting does for dates.
>
> The biggest issue with range-faceting is the double counting of edges
> (which also happens in date faceting, see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-397). My patch deals with
> that by adding an extra parameter which allows you specify which end
> of the range query should be exclusive.
>
> A secondary issue is that you can't do filter queries with one end
> inclusive and one end exclusive (i.e. price:[500 TO 1000}). You can
> get around this by doing "price:({500 TO 1000} OR 500)". I've looked
> into the JavaCC code of Lucene to see if I could fix it so you could
> mix [] and {} but unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with it to get
> it to work.
>
> Regards,
>
> gwk

Hi,

I was supposed to work on something else but I just couldn't resist, and
just implemented some bar-graphs for the range sliders and I really like
it. In my case it was really easy, all the data was already right there
in javascript so it's not causing additional server side load. It's also
really nice to see the graph updating when a facet is selected/changed.

Regards,

gwk