lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Markus Fischer <mar...@fischer.name>
Subject [Solved] Re: Commit takes 1 to 2 minutes, CPU usage affects other apps
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 12:52:01 GMT
Hi,

On 07.05.2010 22:47, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> so it's the full request time, and would be inclusive of any postCommit
> event handlers -- that's important to know.  the logs will help clear up
> wether the underlying "commit" is really taking up a large amount of time
> or if it's some postCommit even (like spellcheck index building, or
> snapshooting, etc...)

I finally was able to solve the issue and you hit the nail pretty hard:
the spellchecker was the culprit. I assume it was a) an oversight or b)
ignorance on our part about the spellchecker.

I wasn't aware that building the spellchecker index took so long (2 or
more minutes for around 800.000 documents); we disabled buildOnCommit
and only build the spellchecker once every night.

> :>  what do your Solr logs say about the commit, and the subsequent
> :>  newSearcher?
> :
> : How can I get such logs? I was asking for in the second mail do this
>
> it depends on what servlet container you use to run Solr, and how it's
> configured.  In the simple the "java -jar start.jar" jetty setup used for
> the Solr example, jetty dumps them to STDOUT in your console.  But most
> servlet containers will write log messages to a file someplace (and even
> jetty will log to a file if it's configured to do so -- most production
> instance are)

The start.jar was incredible helpful to dissect things.

Thanks Chris and everyone who helped me!

- Markus