lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Marc Des Garets" <marc.desgar...@192.com>
Subject update solr index
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:12:02 GMT
Hi,

I am running solr in tomcat and I have about 35 indexes (between 2 and
80 millions documents each). Currently if I try to update few documents
from an index (let's say the one which contains 80 millions documents)
while tomcat is running and therefore receiving requests, I am getting
few very long garbage collection (about 60sec). I am running tomcat with
-Xms10g -Xmx10g -Xmn2g -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m. I'm using
ConcMarkSweepGC.

I have 2 questions:
1. Is solr doing something specific while an index is being updated like
updating something in memory which would cause the garbage collection?

2. Any idea how I could solve this problem? Currently I stop tomcat,
update index, start tomcat. I would like to be able to update my index
while tomcat is running. I was thinking about running more tomcat
instance with less memory for each and each running few of my indexes.
Do you think it would be the best way to go?

Thanks,
Marc
This transmission is strictly confidential, possibly legally privileged, and intended solely
for the
addressee.  Any views or opinions expressed within it are those of the author and do not necessarily

represent those of 192.com, i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd or any of it's subsidiary companies.
 If you
are not the intended recipient then you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance
of this
transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as
soon as
possible.  No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf
of
i-CD Publishing (UK) Ltd with another party by email without express written confirmation
by an
authorised employee of the Company. http://www.192.com (Tel: 08000 192 192).  i-CD Publishing
(UK) Ltd
is incorporated in England and Wales, company number 3148549, VAT No. GB 673128728.