lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Israel Ekpo <israele...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which linux flavor works best with solr?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:38:36 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:25 PM, William Pierce <evalsinca@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I am thinking of trying out a Linux/Tomcat/Solr environment (instead of our
> current windows/tomcat/solr) with a view to capitalizing on the performance
> improvements latent in Linux vs Windows (and perhaps its stability as well).
>    We are thinking of trying this out using Amazon EC2.
>
> Does any one have any recommendations for your flavor of Linux that you
> think works best with Java and Solr.  Since all flavors of Linux are equal
> to a guy coming from Windows,  if there are any preferences due to
> filesystems capabilities that make java/solr perform better, we'd like to
> take advantage of them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Bill

Personally, I would recommend Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS (Server Version or Alternate
Install CD)

It is easier to configure and most of its packages are more up to date
compared to CentOS or Red Hat.

If you are not really familiar with Linux yet then if you can get the
Alternate Install CD that will be helpful.

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

--
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.