lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Solr 1.3 query and index perf tank during optimize
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:46:11 GMT
On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Lance Norskog <goksron@gmail.com> wrote:
> And, terms whose documents have been deleted are not purged. So, you
> can merge all you like and the index will not shrink back completely.

Under what conditions?  Certainly not all, since I just tried a simple
test and a merge removed the terms that were no longer in any
documents just fine.

> This is important because the orphan terms affect relevance
> calculations.

Marking a document as deleted don't affect any term statistics (which
idf uses) until the document is actually removed (which can happen via
a merge, optimize, or expungeDeletes).  That's a lucene limitation
unrelated to how many of a terms documents have been deleted.  But
perhaps I don't understand how you're using the term "orphan terms".

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com