lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: EmbeddedSolrServer: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletRequest
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:12:04 GMT

: I'm newbie using Solr and I'd like to run some tests against our data set. I
: have successful tested Solr + Cell using the standard Http Solr server
: and now we need to test the Embedded solution and when a try to start the
: embedded server i get this exception:
:
: INFO: registering core:
: Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
: javax/servlet/ServletRequest
: The EmbeddedSolrServer depends on servlet-api?

...unfortunately yes, the core solr code base has a dependency on the
servlet API because it can parse requests coming from an
HttpServletRequest.  If you are interested in providing a patch it would
probably be relatively easy to refactor that parsing code into the
src/webapp directory (which was intended to be the only place with servlet
api dependencies)

: I'm facing a lack of documentation about EmbeddedSolrServer, all
: documentation is at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj#EmbeddedSolrServer?

yep, that's pretty much it.  EmbeddedSolr tends to be fairly advanced
usage, for people you are not only familiar with java, but also have a
particular need to embed directly into their app instead of runing SOlr as
a server.

-Hoss