lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [slightly off topic] Jetty and NIO
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:24:33 GMT
In the Solr example jetty.xml, there is the following setup and
comments:
<!-- Use this connector for many frequently idle connections
          and for threadless continuations.
     <Call name="addConnector">
       <Arg>
           <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector">
             <Set name="port"><SystemProperty name="jetty.port"
default="8983"/></Set>
             <Set name="maxIdleTime">30000</Set>
             <Set name="Acceptors">2</Set>
             <Set name="confidentialPort">8443</Set>
           </New>
       </Arg>
     </Call>
    -->

     <!-- Use this connector if NIO is not available. -->
     <!-- This connector is currently being used for Solr because the
          nio.SelectChannelConnector showed poor performance under
WindowsXP
          from a single client with non-persistent connections (35s vs
~3min)
          to complete 10,000 requests)
     -->
     <Call name="addConnector">
       <Arg>
           <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector">
             <Set name="port"><SystemProperty name="jetty.port"
default="8983"/></Set>
             <Set name="maxIdleTime">50000</Set>
             <Set name="lowResourceMaxIdleTime">1500</Set>
           </New>
       </Arg>
     </Call>

So, if I'm on Centos 2.6 (64 bit), what connector should I be using?
Based on the comments, I'm not sure the top one is the right thing
either, but it also sounds like it is my only other choice.

The other thing I'm noticing is if I profile my app and I am
retrieving something like 50 rows at a time, 30-60% of the time is
spent in org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.fill().   I
realize the answer may just be to get less results, but I was
wondering if there are other tuning parameters that can make this more
efficient b/c the 50 rows thing is a biz. reqt and I may not be able
to get that changed.

Thanks,
Grant