lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Silent Surfer <silentsurfe...@yahoo.com>
Subject Can we point a Solr server to index directory dynamically at runtime..
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 04:31:48 GMT
Hi,

Is there any way to dynamically point the Solr servers to an index/data directories at run
time?

We are generating 200 GB worth of index per day and we want to retain the index for approximately
1 month. So our idea is to keep the first 1 week of index available at anytime for the users
i.e have set of Solr servers up and running and handle request to get the past 1 week of date.

But when user tries to query data which is older than 7 days old, we want to dynamically point
the existing Solr instances to the inactive/dormant indexes and get the results.

The main intention is to limit the number of Solr Slave instances and there by limit the #
of Servers required.

If the index directory and Solr instances are tightly coupled, then most of the Solr instances
are just up and running and may hardly used, as most of the users are mainly interested in
past 1 week data and not beyond that.

Any thoughts or any other approaches to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sS