lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: restart server necessary when changing schema+config?
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:09:21 GMT

On Jul 26, 2009, at 3:53 PM, manuel aldana wrote:

> it is not explicitly mentioned in solr documentation but I guess
> when changing stuff inside conf/ folder a restart of webserver is
> necessary? Or is there a reload URL call available?

In single core, a restart of Solr is required to pick up changes to
most* configuration files.  In multi-core, cores can be reloaded
through an HTTP command, however I believe searches will be
unavailable during that core startup which can be a significant amount
of time (minutes or so, most I've seen with heavy warming query
scenarios).

* DataImportHandler can reload its configuration files with an HTTP
command.  And some other files can be picked up dynamically (like
VelocityResponseWriter templates).

	Erik