lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject [OT] New Book: Search User Interfaces
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 04:30:58 GMT
not directly related to SOLR I know.. but I think most people would find
it interesting.

http://searchuserinterfaces.com/book/

from the preface:

Search is an integral part of peoples' online lives; people turn to
search engines for help with a wide range of needs and desires, from
satisfying idle curiousity to finding life-saving health remedies, from
learning about medieval art history to finding video game solutions and
pop music lyrics. Web search engines are now the second most frequently
used online computer application, after email. Not long ago, most
software applications did not contain a search module. Today, search is
fully integrated into operating systems and is viewed as an essential
part of most information systems.

Many books on information retrieval describe the algorithms behind
search engines and information retrieval systems. By contrast, this book
focuses on the human users of search systems and the tool they use to
interact with them: the search user interface. Because of their global
reach, search user interfaces must be understandable by and appealing to
a wide variety of people of all ages, cultures and backgrounds, and for
an enormous variety of information needs.