lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <...@as-guides.com>
Subject Re: spell checking
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:25:47 GMT
Yao Ge schrieb:

> Maybe we should call this "alternative search terms" or
> "suggested search terms" instead of spell checking. It is
> misleading as there is no right or wrong in spelling, there
> is only popular (term frequency?) alternatives.

I had exactly the same difficulty in understanding the concept
because of the name given to the feature, which usually denotes
just what it says, i.e. a spellchecker, which is driven by an
authoritative dictionary and a set of rules, as integrated in
word processors, in order to ensure orthography.

What we have here is quite different from a spellchecker.

IMHO, a name conveying the actual meaning, along the lines of
"suggest", would make more sense.

Michael Ludwig