lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: Is solr right for this scenario?
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:00:22 GMT
It seems like you have three components to your system:

1) Data indexing from multiple sources

2) Search for specific words in documents

3) Preserve rating and search term.

I think that Solr comes into play on #1 and #2.  You can index content
in any number of approaches, either via the new DataImportHandler
architecture, or the more traditional write a loader script that puts
the documents in Solr.  You can store in Solr when a document was
indexed, and use that to check against the original documents to see
if they changed.  Check a last published tag on an RSS feed, or the
last updated time on a physical file.  This is a very common use case
for Solr.

For #2, you could have users issue queries, and make them "favorites",
storing them in the DB.  Assuming they like the results they mark the
documents with the ratings, which you could store in Solr, but I would
put in a DB..  Easier to manage User A says 1, User B says 0.

Then for the UI, just issue the search baseed on queries stored in the
db, and match the id's up with the ranking in the DB.  Simple!

As far as the last part, Solr works best in filesystem, that is part
of why it is so fast, no clunky SQL.  There are scripts for backing up
and restoring indexes that you can use, check the wiki http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrOperationsTools

.

Eric

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com