lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Runo <mr...@zappos.com>
Subject Re: Additive filter queries
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:08:26 GMT
We could do that by going down one level in our inventory, but then we
have other problems.. for example:

Right now a document looks like this:

<doc>
<!-- style level -->
<productID>1598548</productID>
<styleID>12545</styleID>
<brand>Adidas</brand>
<size>1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7</size>
<width>AA, A, B, W, W, WWWW</width>
<color>Brown</color>
</doc>

If we went down a level, it could look like..
<doc>
<!-- stock level -->
<productID>1598548</productID>
<styleID>12545</styleID>
<stockID>654641654684</stockID>
<brand>Adidas</brand>
<size>1</size>
<width>AA</width>
<color>Brown</color>
</doc>

The question now is this:
- At the stock level, we don't want a search for "brown shoes" to
return with alllll the various size/width combos as separate results -
each productId / styleId combo should be a single result

- At the stock level, if you filter by "Size: 7" and then "Width: B"
you're assured to only get things that are width B and size 7

- At the style level, we can't tell for sure which size / width combos
are in stock, since this data is not exposed to solr

This seems like a problem that isn't unique to us. Any store that has
size/width or anything like that will have the same issue. How might
it be solved?

Thanks for your time!

Matthew Runo
Software Engineer, Zappos.com