lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From David Baker <dav...@mate1inc.com>
Subject Garbage Collectors
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:33:18 GMT
I have an issue with garbage collection on our solr servers.  We have an
issue where the  old generation  never  gets cleaned up on one of our
servers.  This server has a little over 2 million records which are
updated every hour or so.  I have tried the parallel GC and the
concurrent GC.  The parallel seems more stable for us, but both end up
running out of memory.  I have increased the memory allocated to the
servers, but this just seems to delay the problem.  My question is, what
are the suggested options for using the parallel GC.  Currently we are
using something of this nature:

-server -Xmx4096m -Xms512m -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy
-XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:GCTimeRatio=19 -XX:NewSize=128m
-XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -Dsolr.solr.home=/usr/local/solr-tomcat-fi/solr

I am new to solr and GC tuning, so any advice is appreciated.