lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Schley Andrew Kutz <sak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: fl wildcards
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:59:12 GMT
Thanks. If I knew where to begin to implement this, I would. It seems
to me that the constraining of field lists must occur at the very core
of Solr because of the reduction in search time when specifying a
restrictive set of fields to return. For example, when I return 10
entire documents the search takes a QTime of 170, which I presume is
milliseconds. However, the time it takes a browser to render the data
puts the actual time into seconds. When I restrict the field list with
"fl=id,name", the QTime is reduced to 24 -- not a small difference.

So, this leads me to believe that the application of field list
restrictions is not simply occurring in the response writer. Does
anyone know where it *is* occurring?

--
-a

"Ideally, a code library must be immediately usable by naive
developers, easily customized by more sophisticated developers, and
readily extensible by experts." -- L. Stein