lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: fl wildcards
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:21:02 GMT

On Mar 12, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Schley Andrew Kutz wrote:
> If I wanted to hack Solr so that it has the ability to process
> wildcards for the field list parameter (fl), where would I look?
> (Perhaps I should look on the solr-dev mailing list, but since I am
> already on this one I thought I would start here). Thanks!

One strategy that can be used (and Solr Flare, a RoR plugin, employs
this) is to make a request to Solr's Luke request handler at client
startup (or whenever you want to "reset") to get a list of the fields
actually in the index and use that to build the field list and other
dynamically controlled things, like facet.field parameters.

For example, Flare takes all fields returned from the luke request
handler, and all that match *_facet become facet.field parameters in
the search requests.

Wasn't exactly an answer to your question.  Wildcard support for field
names in Solr is a feature that really deserves broader implementation
consideration than just hacking one spot for fl.  Other field list
parameters, like hl.fl could use that capability too.

	Erik