lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release of solr 1.4 & autosuggest
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:00:35 GMT

On Feb 16, 2009, at 6:13 PM, David Smiley @MITRE.org wrote:

> Sorry for budding in on this thread but what value is added by
> TermComponent
> when you can use faceting for auto-suggest?

Yeah, you can do auto-suggest w/ faceting, no doubt.  In fact the
TermComponent could just as well be called Term Faceting or something
like that.  I mostly wrote the TermComp for exposing Lucene's
underlying TermEnum and thought the auto-suggest would be a bonus.

> And with faceting, you can
> limit the suggestion by existing words before the word the user is
> typing by
> using it for "q".

Not sure I follow, but the whole point of auto-suggest is to limit by
existing words, right?  The TermComp uses Lucene's internal TermEnum
to return results without any of the other stuff related to faceting.
And, of course, you would only ask for terms beginning with the word
that is being typed.

I haven't tested if it is faster or not, but I do know there is a fair
amount less code involved, so it _might_ be.  It would be good to do
some perf. comparisons.

-Grant
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/