lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <>
Subject Re: Performance "dead-zone" due to garbage collection
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 05:01:48 GMT
Sorting creates a large array with "roughly" an entry for every document in
the index. If it is not on an 'integer' field it takes even more memory. If
you do a sorted request and then don't sort for a while, that will drop the
sort structures and trigger a giant GC.

We went through some serious craziness with sorting.