lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: date range query performance
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:03:58 GMT

On Jan 6, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Jim Adams wrote:
> Can someone explain what this means to me?

The below <field> definition sets the timestamp field without time
granularity, just day.  It's the difference between, say you've
indexed a document for every millisecond in a day (what is that,
86.4M?), and a single term for the single date.

> I'm having a similar performance issue - it's an index with only 1
> million
> records or so, but when trying to search on a date range it takes 30
> seconds!  Yes, this date is one with hours, minutes, seconds in them
> -- do I
> need to create an additional field without the time component and
> reindex
> all my documents so I can get decent search performance?  Or can I
> tell Solr
> "Please ignore the time and do something in a reasonable
> timeframe" (GRIN)

Do you care about milliseconds, seconds, minutes, or hours in terms of
searching?  If not, it's a very good idea to reduce the granularity
and thus the number of unique terms.

	Erik