lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Shalin Shekhar Mangar" <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: date range query performance
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 05:28:39 GMT
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Jim Adams <jasolruser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone explain what this means to me?
>
> I'm having a similar performance issue - it's an index with only 1 million
> records or so, but when trying to search on a date range it takes 30
> seconds!  Yes, this date is one with hours, minutes, seconds in them -- do
> need to create an additional field without the time component and reindex
> all my documents so I can get decent search performance?  Or can I tell
> Solr
> "Please ignore the time and do something in a reasonable timeframe" (GRIN)

Range queries are slow if you have a large number of unique terms. With
dates it is especially a problem because the more precise they are, the more
number of terms you've got in that field.

The easy solution is to round off your dates to minimum precision acceptable
to your use-case. You'll need to re-index.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.