lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Snapinstaller vs Solr Restart
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:42:04 GMT
OK, so that question/answer seems to have hit the nail on the head.  :)

When you optimize your index, all index files get rewritten.  This means that everything that
the OS cached up to that point goes out the window and the OS has to slowly re-cache the hot
parts of the index.  If you don't optimize, this won't happen.  Do you really need to optimize?
 Or maybe a more direct question: why are you optimizing?

Regarding autowarming, with such high fq hit rate, I'd make good use of fq autowarming.  The
result cache rate is lower, but still decent.  I wouldn't turn off autowarming the way you
have.

Otis