lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From souravm <SOUR...@infosys.com>
Subject Limitations of Distributed Search ....
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2008 05:40:34 GMT
Hi,

We are planning to use Solr for processing large volume of application log files (around ~
10 Billions documents of size 5-6 TB).

One of the approach we are considering for the same is to use Distributed Search extensively.

What we have in mind is distributing the log files in multiple boxes monthly or weekly basis
- where at the weekly basis itself the volume can go to the level of 200 M of documents. And
a search query can spread across all weeks (e.g. number of a given txn for 1st 6 months of
a year)

However, what we are not sure how well the distributed search would scale when we may use
around 50-60 boxes to distribute indexed documents on weekly basis. The specific questions
I have in mind are -

a) How would be the impact on the performance when a query spreads over 50 boxes
b) Is there any hard limit on the number of slaves which can be contacted from the master
server?
c) How much load will this type of approach create on master server for merging data, keeping
the track whether a slave is down or not
d) Any other manageability issues with so many slaves

If anyone of you have deployed Solr in such a environment it would be great if you can share
your experience on the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sourav