lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: setting a log file per core with slf4
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:17:06 GMT

On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand...
>
> are you suggesting that rather then configuring our logger like this:
> static Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(SolrCore.class);
>
> We get the Logger everytime we use it with something like:
> Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(classname+":"+core.getName() );
>
> That seems like a lot of overhead for marginal gain...

I'm not up on the logging tips and tricks best practices these days,
but yeah, I was suggesting something like that.  There's no rule that
says logging keys be FQCNs.... that's a decent convention for most
cases with a package structure that is well organized and filterable.
In this case having the core name in there as a prefix makes a lot of
sense to me.

We could provide a LoggerUtils.getLogger(core, clazz) or something
like to keep it DRY and consistent.

	Erik