lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Luca Molteni" <voloth...@gmail.com>
Subject How to handle large field values.
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:52:35 GMT
Hello everybody,

dealing with very large fields, let's say text documents, I found that there
is a global slowness (on my computer)  in returning those field. Since most
of the time what we want is an "highlight" value of the field and not the
entire field, I thought that we can omit these field from the query. I've
tried two methods:

- Stored = false works very well, the query is faster, but the highlightning
doesn't work anymore (sigh, I know it's by design).
- Stored = true and filtering with the "fl" parameters requires me to enter
all the fields by hand, since the fl query doesn't support a minus operator
(let's say, all the field withouth my
veryLargeFieldIDontWantToRetrieveButIWantToSeeAVerySmallPortion).

Strangely, using the "fl" parameter in federeated search with "shards" and
two different server with different schemas, gave me strange results (no
results, actually). It all works well using only one shard, but it was very
difficult to benchmark it.

Any advice? I hope I'm missing something.

Thanks,

L.M.