lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Redirecting output of post.jar and start.jar
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:51:36 GMT

On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Muhammed Sameer wrote:

> Salaam,
>
> When I run post.jar or start.jar its throws a lot of information on
> the screen, I even tried redirecting the info but that does not seem
> to help, I have configured a cron to run post.jar to run every 2mins
> to keep the index updated, and each time this runs it throws a lot
> of stuff on the console.
>
> Q1) What can I do so that the start.jar and post.jar do not send
> output to stdout

I assume you are using the example configs shipped with solr...

You can modify the jetty configs (/example/etc/jetty.xml) to send
output to a file rather then stdout.  Check:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/StdErrStdOut

> Q2) Is running post.jar every 2 mins a correct way of keeping the
> indexes updated, or is there a more sane way.

Depends....   how often does your data change?  do you know what
changed?  There are lots of options for how to get data into solr.
post.sh and post.jar are just simple examples -- they may not be
approprate when things get more complex.

Have you checked:
* solrj - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj
* csv -- http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateCSV
* DataInportHandler -- http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler