lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Shalin Shekhar Mangar" <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performanec Lucene / Solr
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:28:14 GMT
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Kraus, Ralf | pixelhouse GmbH <
rk@pixelhouse.de> wrote:

> I am validating Sorl 1.3 now for about 3 weeks... My goal is to migrate
> from Lucene to Solr because of the much better plugins and search
> functions.

Very nice!

> Right now I am stress testing the performence and sending 2500 search
> request via JSON protocol and from my PHPUnit testcase.
> All search reuqest are different so caching donĀ“t do it for me.
> Right now our old Lucene-JSPs are avout 4 times faster than my SOLR
> Sollution :-(

Well, with Lucene it is an API call in the same JVM in the same web
application. With Solr, you are making HTTP calls across the network,
serializing requests and de-serializing responses. So the comparison is not
exactly apples to apples.

Look at what Solr offers -- replication, caching, plugins etc. Will you
really need to go over 2500 requests per second? Do you need to be concerned
with performance above and beyond that? Will it be easier to scale out to
more boxes?

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.