lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Weiss <swe...@stylesight.com>
Subject Re: Solr Logo thought
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:02:51 GMT
My issue with the logos presented was they made solr look like a
school project instead of the powerful tool that it is.  The tricked
out font or whatever just usually doesn't play well with the business
types... they want serious-looking software.  First impressions are
everything.  While the fiery colors are appropriate for something
named Solr, you can play with that without getting silly - take a look
at:

http://www.ascsolar.com/images/asc_solar_splash_logo.gif
http://www.logostick.com/images/EOS_InvestmentingLogo_lg.gif

(Luckily there are many businesses that do solar energy!)

They have the same elements but with a certain simplicity and elegance.

I know probably some people don't care if it makes the boss or client
happy, but, these are the kinds of seemingly insignificant things that
make people choose a bad, proprietary piece of junk over something
solid and open-source... it's all about appearances!  The people
making the decision often have little else to go on, unfortunately.

--
Steve