lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Adrian M Bell <dia...@amberservices.co.uk>
Subject Alphabetical search on solr
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:08:24 GMT

Ok this might be a simple one, or more likely, my understanding of solr is
shot to bits....

We have a catalogue of documents that we have a solr index on.  We need to
provide an alphabetical search, so that a user can list all documents with a
title beginning A, B and so on...

So how do we do this?

Currently we have built up the following query:

<domain>/solr/select/?q=titleLong(a*)&rows=50

Whilst this is fine, it returns ALL documents that have an 'A' anywhere in
the title and as you can imagine, there are quite a few of these!  So
obviously we then strip out the results that don't begin with A.  This seems
to be incredibly wasteful to me.

Any one got any ideas?