lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: token concat filter?
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 16:06:27 GMT

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> Whether synonyms are applied at index time or query time is
> controlled via schema.xml - it depends on where you put the synonym
> factory, whether in the index-time or query-time section of a
> fieldType.  Synonyms are read once on start, I believe.  It might be
> good to have them read at index reader open time, as is done with
> elevate component...

I'm looking a bit more into this now.

I don't think you need synonyms applied at both query and index time if
you're using expand - one or the other ought to work properly.  in fact,
I suspect I'm the last person to figure this out ;)

the question is, then, which is the more efficient place to apply them?

my first inclination is to apply them (and other similar expanding
mechanisms) to just the index so that the expansion happens only once
and is held in (an efficient) index as opposed to manipulating every query.

the SpellCheckerRequestHandler example on the wiki has the opposite
configuration, expanding synonyms on (only) the query.

thoughts on which approach is the more efficient one?

--Geoff