lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Extending XmlRequestHandler
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 13:40:44 GMT
On May 12, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Alexander Ramos Jardim wrote:
> Wouldn't you use a SoapRequestHandler?

First of all, *I* wouldn't really want to be caught coding up any
kind of client or server SOAP call to Solr.  Seems mostly ridiculous
to me when Solr's response is malleable to practically any kind of
hash/array data structure format you want already.

But no, I wouldn't build a request handler for SOAPifying Solr, I
don't think.  I'd go as simple as possible and use the Axis web stuff
(last time I did this stuff was ages ago, caveat) and talk to Solr's
API - which could be a call to a request handler internally.

> Would you use SolrJ to make the
> wiring?

No.  SolrJ is for Java -> Solr communications, and it does just fine
with out any SOAP in there at all.  In fact, the latest incarnations
do this with serialized Java objects of some sort making the data
smaller and faster to process than XML.

> Or would you put the SOAP on the solr server side?

Only on the server-side, if you're a masochist.  Otherwise, just use
Solr without SOAP and do something else with your free time :)

	Erik