lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Norberto Meijome <free...@meijome.net>
Subject Re: using solr as master for data storage/retrieval?
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 07:37:50 GMT
On Wed, 7 May 2008 11:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
"Phillip Rhodes" <spamsucks@rhoderunner.com> wrote:

> I currently have a java-based application that stores all objects on the file system
(text, blobs) and uses lucene to search the objects.  If I can store these objects in solr,
I would greatly increase the scalability of my application.

Hi Phillip,
I'm interested in why you think that SOLR would be more scalable than FS for retrieving files.I
am not saying it isn't. For my use cases, it wouldn't be, but your case may be different.

Do you have any numbers / theories that make you think that would be the case?

How big are the files you intend to store? What file types? how many queries / sec do you
expect to serve?

cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Intelligence: Finding an error in a Knuth text.
Stupidity: Cashing that $2.56 check you got.

I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery when wet. Reading disclaimers
makes you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have been Warned.