lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: unique values from a field in a result
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:55:06 GMT

On Apr 27, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Thijs Vonk wrote:
> What is the best way to get the unique terms from a field in a result?
> I've been using SimpleFacet to do this. However, I don't need the
> counts, so it seems overkill to have to iterate over all the result
> documents per field to get the unique values for that field.
> The field's contain database Id's that I use on the client side to
> get aditional information from the database.
>
> Is there a faster way to get the unique values from a field in a
> result?

If you are looking for the unique terms for a field across all
documents, faceting is the way to go.  The counts are stored in the
index, so i don't think that is a substantial loss.

If you are looking for the unique terms within a document (I doubt you
are, but not totally clear from your question) perhaps you could store
the unique terms?

ryan