lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: searching from command line?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:03:21 GMT

On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:23 PM, peter360 wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion and  I pretty much agree.  Part of the
> reason,
> which I didn't mention in my original question, that I am looking
> for a
> command line tool is to use it for quick diagnosis.  I could point
> it to a
> different index just by changing one of the command line
> parameters, without
> having to modify the solrconfig.xml file and restart a servlet
> container,
> then go to a browser to issue query.

For the record, you can point to a different index with Solr with a
command-line startup parameter (provided you have the directory in
solrconfig parameterized this way): <dataDir>${solr.data.dir:./solr/
data}</dataDir>

   java -Dsolr.data.dir=some/other/directory -jar start.jar

Startup time for Solr is a few seconds max for me.

And no browser needed:

   curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=whatever&wt=ruby&indent=on"

(ruby and indentation enabled for readability in a console).

	Erik