lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Benjamen" <abenja...@friendster.com>
Subject RE: Master/Slave setup
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:38:40 GMT
OK, I'll give it a shot... Couple of issues I see with the snappuller:

1. When the master performs a commit, and then optimize, there is nothing to prevent
   snappuller to pul a non-optimized index?

2 Do uncommitted updates constitute a different index version... suppose I post 10 XML
  files on update, and do not commit.   The snappuller happens to run at that time - will

  it pull the uncommitted index, or is it smart enough to detect that the newer index is
  not committed/optimized

I suppose, I could write to some file after optimize is done (index version) on the master,
and modify snappuller to look at that file... but it would be good if that happens "out of
the box"

Thanks,
Alex

________________________________

From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thu 2/28/2008 8:16 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Master/Slave setup

Alex,

I think you should rethink the approach you described and reconsider using the provided replication
scripts.

- How often the searchers see the new index depends on how often the snappuller + snapinstaller
are run on slaves.
- If you want the searchers to get a new and optimized index every 2 hours, there is no need
to optimize the index on slaves every 1 hour.
- If you use snappuller + snapinstaller you will not need to restart Solr (good!) and autowarming
will be done (good again!)

Otis