lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backup of a Solr index
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:10:10 GMT
On Jan 4, 2008 8:44 AM, Jörg Kiegeland <kiegeland@ikv.de> wrote:
> > If you want to copy the hard files from the data/index directory, yes, you'll probably
want to shut down the server first. You may be able to get away with leaving the server up
but stopping any index/commit operations, but I could be wrong.

> How do I stop remote clients to do index/commit operations?

A postCommit hook (configured in solrconfig.xml) is called in a safe
place for every commit.
You could have a program as a hook that normally did nothing unless
you had previously signaled to make a copy of the index.

> Then, I think, the only solution is to retrieve all documents from the
> Solr server via an all-matching query  and store the search result into
> some files on hard disk. This should not get in conflict with other
> clients since it is a normal "user operation", right?

That's a pretty expensive way to do it, but it would work assuming all
the fields were stored.

> If this operation would take several minutes: can other clients still
> perform queries  on the server or even do updates (which should be
> delayed for consistency)?

Other clients could continue to do queries, and updates would not need
to be delayed (they won't be visible until a commit).

-Yonik