lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From George Everitt <gever...@appliedrelevance.com>
Subject Inverted Search Engine
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:38:14 GMT
Verity had a function called "profiler" which was essentially an
inverted search engine.  Instead of evaluating a single query at a
time against a large corpus of documents, the profiler evaluated a
single document at a time against a large number of queries.   This
kind of functionality is used for alert notifications, where a large
number of users can have their own queries and as documents are
indexed into the system,  the queries are matched and some kind of
notification is made to the owner of the query (e-mail, SMS, etc).
Think "Google Alerts".

I'm wondering if anybody has implemented this kind of functionality
with Solr, and if so what strategy did you use?  If you haven't
implemented something like that I would still be interested in ideas
on how to do it with Solr, or how to perhaps use Lucene to patch that
functionality into Solr?  I have my own thoughts, but they are still a
bit primitive, and I'd like to throw it over the transom and see who
bites...

George Everitt
Applied Relevance LLC