lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject solrj users -- API feedback, suggestions, etc
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:53:39 GMT
Hello-

Solrj has been out there for a while, but is not yet baked into an
official release.  If there is anything major to change just so it feels
better, now is the time.  Here are a few things I'm thinking about:

1. The setFields() behavior
Currently:
   query.setFields( "name,id" );
generates:
   &fl=name,id

while:
   query.setFields( "name", "id" );
generates:
   &fl=name&fl=id  (undefined behavior, it will probably just use 'name')

2. though maybe just because I'm looking at it is that request &
response are split into two packages when it seems like the
request/response pair should sit next to eachother.

3. Interface vs Abstract super class?  I know interfaces are an OO
standard, but I have found they are pain to maintain across releases
(you can't add a function to an interface without breaking existing
implementations)  Perhaps we should convert the interfaces to abstract
super classes where possible.

Other thoughts?

ryan