lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Formula for open file descriptors
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 04:05:14 GMT
On 18-Sep-07, at 5:39 PM, Lance Norskog wrote:

> Hi-
>
> In early June Mike Klass posted a formula for the number of file
> descriptors
> needed by Solr:
>
> 	For each segment, 7 + num indexed fields per segment.
> 	There should be log_{base mergefactor}(numDocs) * mergeFactor
> segments, approximately.
>
> Is this still true?

No, it is a constant ~10 files per segment now (no per-field file
descriptor count).

Unfortunately, I forgot that a set of file descriptors is needed for
each Reader -- so multiply the total by 2 at least.

The formula's seeming mathematical nature shouldn't be confused for
precision: I wouldn't use it for anything other than an order-mag
level estimation of the number of fds needed.

-Mike