lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From George Everitt <gever...@appliedrelevance.com>
Subject Re: [slightly ot] Looking for Lucene/Solr consultant in Germany
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:20:32 GMT
Dear Jan,

I just saw your post on the SOLR mailing list.  I hope I'm not too late.

First of, I don't exactly match your required qualifications.  I do
have 9 years at Verity and 1 year at Autonomy in enterprise search,
however.   I'm in the middle of coming up to speed on SOLR and
applying my considerable expertise in general Enterprise Search to
the SOLR/Lucene platform.   So, your specific requirements for a
Lucene/SOLR expert are not quite met.  But, I've been in the business
of enterprise search for 10 years.   Think if it as asking an Oracle
expert to look at your MySQL implementation.

My normal rate is USD 200/hour, and I do command that rate more often
than not.  I'd be interested in taking on the challenge in my spare
time, free of charge, just to get my bearings and to see how my
consulting skills translate from the closed-source Verity/IDOL world
to the open source world.  I think this could be beneficial to both
of us:   I would get some expertise in specific SOLR idiosyncrasies,
and you would get the benefit of 10 years of general enterprise
search experience.

I've been studying SOLR and Lucene, and even developing my own
project using them as a basis.  That being said, I expect to make
some mistakes as I try to match my existing skill set with what's
available in SOLR.  Fortunately, I found that with the transition
from Verity K2 to Autonomy IDOL the underlying concepts of full-text
search are pretty much universal.

Another fly in the ointment is that I live in the USA (St. Pete
Beach, Florida to be exact), so there would be some time zone
issues.  Also, I don't speak German, which will be a handicap when it
comes to analyzing stemming options.   If you can live with those
limitations, I'd be happy to help.

Let me know if you're interested.

George Everitt
Applied Relevance LLC