lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Manis" <ma...@digital39.com>
Subject Re: most popular/most commonly accessed records
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:25:56 GMT
Maybe create a snippet of code in the page of the video information that if
the page was accessed from search results it will increment a counter within
a database (sqlite, mysql, etc).  You can then update solr every so often
(daily, hourly, twice a day, etc) and include the hits.  This would then
allow you to run a query on solr similar to "q=video&sort=hits desc&rows=10"
that would return the top 10 results.

Depending on the amount of videos and the data you are indexing I think it
would be a quick update.  If it is a lot of information you could even setup
a secondary solr instance that would only contain information to build such
queries.  For example if you were only returning the hits and the name+id
(to build link) the schema would be simple and updates should be quick.
Maybe even quick enough to update as the video is accessed.  Someone more
familiar with solr would know how intense that would be on resources better
than I would.

The first choice would probably give you more options since you can include
category breakdowns or other breakdowns within your query.
.

Pete