lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DismaxRequestHandler reports sort by score as invalid
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:04:11 GMT
A little background:
I originally conceived of query operation chains (based on some of my
previous hacking in mechanical investing stock screens: select all
stocks; take top 10% lowest PE; then take the top 20 highest growth
rate; then sort descending by 13 week relative strength).

So, I thought that the next thing after a query *might* be a sort, so
getSort() shouldn't throw an exception if it wasn't.  I think this
idea is now outdated (we know when we have a sort spec) and an
exception should just be thrown on a syntax error.

-Yonik

On 6/21/07, J.J. Larrea <jjl@panix.com> wrote:
> Because "score desc" is the default Lucene & Solr behavior when no explicit sort
is specified, QueryParsing.parseSort() returns a null sort so that the non-sort versions of
the query execution routines get called.  However the caller SolrPluginUtils.parseSort issues
that warning whenever it gets a null sort.  Perhaps that interaction should be altered, or
perhaps it should be left in as a sort of "are you sure you want to tell me what I already
know?", er, warning.  But as it stands you can simply ignore it, or else leave the sort off
entirely when it is "score desc"; if the behavior were different in those two cases it would
certainly be a bug, but as you noted that's not the case.

> - J.J.
>
> At 10:50 AM -0400 6/21/07, gerard sychay wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >This is a minor issue and does not affect Solr operation, but I could not find it
in the issue tracking.

> >To reproduce:
> >
> >- I set up a Solr server with the example docs indexed by following the Solr tutorial.
> >
> >- I clicked on the following example search under the "Sorting" section:
> >
> >http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?indent=on&q=video&sort=score+desc
> >
> >- I added a "qt" parameter to try out the DisMax Request Handler:
> >
> >http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?indent=on&q=video&sort=score+desc&qt=dismax
> >
> >- In the Solr output, I get:
> >
> >WARNING: Invalid sort "score desc" was specified, ignoring Jun 21, 2007 10:33:37
AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
> >INFO: /select/ sort=score+desc&indent=on&qt=dismax&q=video 0 131
> >
> >The WARNING line is the issue. It does not seem that it should be there. But as I
said, it does not appear to affect operation as the results are sorted by score descending
anyway (because that is the default?).