lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RAMDirecotory instead of FSDirectory for SOLR
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:16:25 GMT
Hi Jeryl,

Three weeks later - any luck with Solr + Terracotta?

Thanks,
Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Jeryl Cook <twoencore@hotmail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2007 3:59:21 AM
Subject: RE: RAMDirecotory instead of FSDirectory for SOLR

i have Terracotta to work with Lucene , and it works find with the RAMDirectory...i am trying
to get it to work with SOLR(Hook the RAMDirectory..)..., when i do, ill post the findings,problems,etc..Thanks
for feedback from everyone.Jeryl Cook

/^\ Pharaoh /^\

http://pharaohofkush.blogspot.com/

"..Act your age, and not your shoe size.."

-Prince(1986)> Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:24:26 -0700> From: orion@terracotta.org>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org> Subject: RE: RAMDirecotory instead of FSDirectory for
SOLR> > > Jeryl,> > If you need any help getting Terracotta to work under Lucene
or if you have> any questions about performance tuning and/or load testing, you can also
use> the Terracotta community resources (mailing lists, forums, IRC, whatnot):> <http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/orgsite/Community>.
 We'd be> more than happy to help you get this stuff working.> > Cheers,> Orion>
> > Jeryl Cook wrote:> > > > Thats the thing,Terracotta persists everything
it has in memory to the> > disk when it overflows(u can set how much u want to use in
memory), or> > when the server goes offline.  When the server comes back the master>
> terracotta simply loads it back into the memory of the once offline> > worker..identical
to the approach SOLR already does to handle> > scalability...., this allows
 unlimited storage of the items in memory, ...> > you just need to cluster the "RAMDirectory"
according to the sample giving> > by Terracotta....However i read some of the post here...I
read some say: "> > i wonder how performance will be".,etc....i was trying to get it>
> working..andload test the hell out it, and see how it acts with large> > amounts
of data, and how it ompares with SOLR using typical FSDirectory> > approach.i plan to
post findings..Jeryl Cook > > > > > > > > /^\ Pharaoh /^\ > >
> > http://pharaohofkush.blogspot.com/ > > > > > > > > "..Act
your age, and not your shoe size.."> > > > -Prince(1986)> Date: Thu, 31 May
2007 13:51:53 -0700> From:> > hossman_lucene@fucit.org> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: RE:> > RAMDirecotory instead of FSDirectory for SOLR> > > : board,
looks like i> > can achieve this with the "embedded" version of SOLR> : uses the
lucene> > RAMDirectory to store the index..Jeryl Cook> > yeah ... adding> >
asolrconfig.xml option
 for using a RAMDirectory would be> possible ... but> > almost meaningless for most
people (the directory would> go away when the> > server shuts down) ... even for
use cases like what you> describe (hooking> > in terrecota) it wouldn't be enough
in itself, because> there would be no> > hook to give terracota access to it.>
> > -Hoss> > > > > -- > View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/RAMDirecotory-instead-of-FSDirectory-for-SOLR-tf3843377.html#a10905062>
Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.>